1. What does the element do?
- It is used for the entry of text and numbers.
2. When should the element be used?
- When an entry from the user is required.
- An entry field always has a label.
- Optional entries include the text ‘(optional)’ behind the label text. For short fields, the text ‘(optional)’ can be abbreviated to ‘(opt.)’.
- An infoicon can be shown in the entry field for detailed explanations. A opens when this infoicon is clicked on.
- If the text becomes longer than the width of the entry field when being entered, the written text is moved to the left so that what is currently being written can always be seen.
- After leaving the entry field with a long text, it is cut off at the end and designated with “…”.
- If the user can never edit a form field, no entry field may be used (display as text).
- The right type of keyboard must be selected depending on the type of entry field (default, e-mail, URL, phone)
4. Variants and statuses
The element has the following statuses: