1. What does the element do?
- It is used for the selection of an option from a pre-defined list.
2. When should the element be used?
- When selecting from several options in a list.
- There must be a choice between at least two options.
- The element always has a label.
- Optional selections always include the text ‘(optional)’ behind the label. The text ‘(optional)’ can be abbreviated to ‘(opt.)’ for short fields.
- An infoicon can be displayed in the entry field for detailed explanations. A tooltip opens when this infoicon is clicked on.
- The text in the select element is always single-line.
- If an entry is longer than the available width of the element, the entry’s text is abbreviated with ‘…’.
- A pre-selection is not permitted with a mandatory field.
- The label is displayed if no selection has been made yet.
4. Variants and statuses
The element has the following statuses: